Thursday, July 12, 2012

It's a rap!

“It’s a rap. It’s a rap. It’s a rap, rap, rap, rap, RAP!” ~ Tony Mitton

That’s what the 6th graders did for the end of school. Epic sauce. And now I want to try to reach a level of rappage equal to if not exceeding theirs here... yo... yo... yo, yo...

But actually, I want to give a wrap-up to my Bangladesh experience relatively near the experience (that, and I don't want to put you through the pain of me attempting rap). I’m beginning to write this up while I’m still in Bangladesh, but I am finishing it at home, so that way I can reflect more about differences between here and there. At least, that’s the goal. Knowing my schedule, I’ll probably only have time to glance at this once before I actually post it [reality: I only added the first part and some links... and cut out this: And now, late-night viewers, we close tonight’s program with a lovely concerto piece by none other than Mr. Floyd Q. Harrington-Schultz: “Henrietta’s Happy, Hellenistic Hungarian Hippo.”]. Thus, it won’t be a Germany, which got finished a week or so before I left for Bangladesh.

Speaking of Germany, God is awesome: remember Herrnhut? The site of nearly 100 years of non-stop prayer I visited? They had a particular type of star that they made, which reminds me of the Unitas Fratrum. While I did not take a picture of this, inside LAMB’s church, in the middle of the ceiling… there was a Herrnhuter Sterne. God unites us across the world.

On this trip to Bangladesh, God has taught me three key things about myself and my relation to others, all of which relate to my pride. I might seem like a kind, sensitive soul to most, but inwardly, I grapple with my sense of control, so part of me is not surprised that He revealed to me such missteps. At the same time, with each realization, I discovered a core truth about living for God and what that means in this world, whether I am serving Him abroad or domestically. Therefore, I pray that these boastings in my weakness would only bring understanding of and glory to the Living One:

1. I realized my pride in/attachment to the academy. I wrote about this earlier, but I came to understand how much I had made education a sort of idol. Some people worry about missing the food of home, the comfort of family, the financial security of a non-missional life. Do such things cross my mind? Now and again. But what crossed my mind more, especially at the beginning of my time here, was how I would miss the university research environment if God called me to a remote area of the world. The thing is, I was wrong on two counts: (1) people serving God in foreign lands can and do pursue further study (two people I met at LAMB were currently pursuing master’s degrees, and a third was working on her PhD), and (2) intellectual discourse and study should lead to action in missions, no matter your context, and should not remain sheltered in the university environment (it is a means, not simply an end). Pursuing advanced degrees does have a purpose, but I pray God would show me further how I can use them for His purposes, rather than my own. True wisdom from above is pure, not polluted by an air of intellectual superiority. So God, let me serve You in a way which would use whatever knowledge I attain for Your Kingdom’s purposes, and show me when to say “no” to a study opportunity for the sake of the gospel (side note: I’m not saying, “Quit doing homework and get on your knees!” But what I am saying is that I do not need a BA, MA, MPH, MD, and PhD to live a life worthy of God’s calling).

2. I realized my pride in thinking that it always must be me, a foreigner, who serves/does the work. Don’t get me wrong, I love international missions work, and I pray God would use me in this capacity in the future in whatever form He chooses, whether for a month or so each year or for a more extended period of time. However, this service does NOT mean that I take over all tasks from the community into which I enter. Missions is so much more than going to another place and doing service. Missions is living, breathing, walking in Christ wherever you are. This spirit should be fostered in the local community, and if any group were to come and serve this part of the body, then we should encourage them in their own work, rather than try to run the show. I’d welcome help from other university students in serving my own college's community, sharing with them the needs of our people, and then letting them discuss the needs they see. Admittedly, outsiders can give insights into things wrong with a system. At the same time, once these issues are revealed, who should be in control of solving them? It’s like a doctor and a patient together discovering a diagnosis. Whether the symptom report came from physician or patient, the value of patient autonomy should dictate how the patient proceeds with treatment. In this, the patient has the most control over what happens to them, and can allow the doctor to make decisions if desired. Similarly, in international missions, we should labor where we are requested to serve, supporting the work that the native people decide to establish, and not overstepping our bounds. Thus, we together bring service and praise to God in the context, wherever it might be, as the body united across place and culture. On earth as it is in heaven (Revelation 7:9-10)

3. I realized my pride in seeking the position of an exalted servant in this world, whether a doctor, teacher, or what have you, when instead I must humble myself before God to find true servanthood: I must follow Christ. Subconsciously, I believe I thought that I must inherently serve in a classical “servant” profession to serve God. But that does not mean that I have a servant’s heart. I could serve God better on a factory floor with a humbled heart than if I was “caring” for patients simply for my own pleasure or to assure use of “my” abilities. The nature of a true servant requires this submission to God, so no matter what I am doing, whether appearing philanthropic in the sight of the world or not, I take the talents given to me and multiply them as God allows. In this, I pray I would be like Christ, as Paul writes about in Philippians 2:5-8 “Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.” In this way, I can reflect Christ as Deas Vail, whose name means “humble servant of God,” sings, “I’m only a seed in Your hands / I’ll never be big enough / But the smallest of parts in Your plans / Is bigger than anything I know.” It’s not about how I serve as much as Whom I serve.

What does the future look like for me? God only knows the specifics. Part of me intends on working overseas again, as I found this trip way too short. I want to learn a language and engage with people more deeply relationally. At the same time, I don’t want to limit this goal to contexts abroad. I am approaching my final year of university studies, and I want to be ready to serve Him through operating in the language, culture, and activities of my peers. I want to be salt and light to them, and I pray I would not be so overcome by schoolwork and medical school interviews to avoid these relationships.

My heart for rural communities began to develop on an ASB trip last semester, seeing how underserved they were in the U.S., and I believe that has simply continued in my work at LAMB. Having limited resources educationally and medically requires ingenuity to use effectively. I would hope to take these on as challenges, whether through National Health Service Corps, Teach for America, or both, enthralling my intellect in the process. However, I pray I do not leave them as simply mental exercises. Christ died for urban communities, for suburbia, and for what some affectionately call “the sticks.” I believe He has a heart for all these peoples, and I do not want to limit my ministry to a particular group. I do pray that I would continue to serve in rural communities, though I pray more that God would reveal to me the needs around me, and that I would operate as His servant, no matter the context. I am not living simply for tomorrow. He has me where He wants me today. And I pray I would live in that moment, pouring out all I am for His Name, until my breath gives way, and His breath pilots my ship to shore.

Until then, I will sojourn. Peace to you all until next journey!

In Christ,
MJW

No comments:

Post a Comment